Huevos Rotos, also known as "Huevos Estrellados" are a traditional favourite of Spain, most popular in Madrid. Their origins date back to the 1800's. This dish consists of the most simple ingredients, fried potatoes topped with fried eggs. The secret is to use high quality potatoes and olive oil. One of the funnest features of this dish is when it's time to slice the eggs over the potatoes and dig in!
Enjoy this dish at any time of day, and explore your creativity by adding flavours such as paprika, Serrano Jamón or Chorizo on top!
1 Yellow Potato per serving
1-2 Eggs per serving
4 slices of Spanish ham or chorizo per serving
350ml of vegetable oil for cooking
A pinch of parsley
A pinch of salt
- Take the potato, cut it into strips, deep-fry, air-fry or fry on the stove with 1881 Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Place the fries in a bowl and add sea salt; shake them to spread the salt.
- Once the fries are cooked, cook the eggs in the olive oil from the potatoes. Cook with the oil on high, so that the whites are crispy and the yolks are runny.
- Once the egg whites begin to crisp over, place the eggs on top of the fries.
- Slice the yolk on top of the fries so that the yolk runs over the potatoes.
- Finish off by dressing the eggs with parsley.
- (Optional) Add slices of Serrano ham, chorizo or your favourite Spanish pork based meat on top of the eggs to complete the dish.