A warm and delicious dessert, "Natillas" is the perfect winter treat and way to bring people together. It's great for entertaining as it can be prepared ahead of time and can be served either hot or cold.
Recipe serves 6!
- In a large saucepan, add the milk, lemon zest, cinnamon and salt and bring them to a simmer.
- In the meantime, combine the eggs and the sugar together in a large bowl and mix with a hand-mixer for 3-5 minutes until it reaches a light colour. Then, add the cornstarch.
- Move over half of the hot milk mix from step 1 into the bowl with the eggs and sugar mix from step 2. (Leave the other half in the saucepan-we'll come back to it later.) Mix the two mixtures together, and then combine all 3 mixtures in the saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes, whisking the mixture constantly until it gets very thick in consistency (it's worth it, we promise!)
- Whisk in the vanilla and move the contents from the saucepan to a large mixing bowl. Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon zest.
- Cover the mix with plastic and let it set in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Once it's cooled down, separate into serving bowls (serves 6).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve warm or cold.
Skip the recipe and save time by ordering this Natillas mix by Carmencita!